How are we helping?
Digital Resource Library
DTAC provides a range of digital tools for loan (or heavily subsidised hire) like high-end Telescopes, Sphero and VEX Robotics, iPad Classroom Kits, Bloxels Game- Building Kits, Google Expedition Kits and more for schools to access.
Events & Workshops
We've got a packed schedule crammed full of interesting workshops, conferences and other events running throughout each year to help our community get the most out of digital tools and opportunities.
Connect & Collaborate
Our regular DTAC fortnightly meetings provide a launchpad into incredible networks of like-minded people making a difference here in Wangarratta. We host teachers, activators, business builders, and more.
Maree Timms talks all about DTAC Wangaratta with Ben Newsome from FizzicsEducation.com.au
Listen to their discussion below and enjoy. :-) Check out more details about the interview with all the weblinks mentioned in the Maree's discussion with...
Maree Timms - Winner of the 2019 Educaré Award!
Congratulations to our Maree Timms for her long-deserved acknowledgement of all the incredible work that she does! You're an incredible inspiration to everyone within our team...
DTAC - What a ride!
It all started in late October, 2015. Bernadette Albertson and I chatted about the lack of STEM aspirations in our students and community. Being passionate...
What's a 'DTAC'?
DTAC is the Digital Technologies Advisory Committee and we're based right here in Wangarratta. We're a collection of organisations and individuals who are working hard to fix the problem our region is facing with Digital Inclusion.
We've already done some great work over the last 2 years.
We've hosted over 30 events, built a great library of technology resources and have even helped send our local kids over to the US to compete on the world stage for robotics!
When we started in 2016 our local Digital Inclusion score was 43.8. In the most recent report we've shot past the 50% mark with a new scoring of 50.8 - an increase of 7%! (By comparison Melbourne moved from 62.5% to 63.6%.)
Can you tell me more about the issue?
Digital inclusion is recognised as one of the key social justice challenges facing policy makers and communities worldwide. Digital inclusion is not just about computers, the internet or even technology. It is about using technology as a channel to improve skills, to enhance quality of life, to drive education and to promote economic wellbeing across all elements of society. Digital inclusion is really about social inclusion.
Although the digital divide is closing, in Australia there are still deep gaps evident with a large number of vulnerable individuals without basic internet access or skills:
- There were 1.25 million Australian households without internet access at home in 2016-17. (That's 14%!)
- 18.4% of Australians born in non-English speaking countries, do not access internet compared to a 13.5% national average 79.1% of people educated to year 12 or below use the internet, compared with 96.7% of people with a tertiary qualification.
- Only 55.2% of people aged 65 or more are internet users compared to 86.5% national average
- More than 1.3 million Australians with disability did not access the internet in the last 3 months. One quarter of these people report lack of confidence and knowledge as a reason for not accessing the internet.
- 24.7% of Indigenous Australian households do not access the internet from home compared with the national average of 14.7%. Levels of home internet access for Indigenous Australian households diminishes further with remoteness – 45.2% of such households in remote and very remote locations do not access the internet at home.
- More than two thirds of people who are homeless had difficulty paying their mobile phone bill in the last 12 months.
How can I get involved/support you?
By getting in contact and getting involved!
We're 100% volunteer run and rely on donated human-power, funding and resources.
If you want to help us make a difference to our community you can help us by attending meetups, adding your ideas, hosting/helping with events, contributing resources or financial support, or assisting with fundraising activities